Lawton Chiles Middle Academy
400 N. Florida Ave, Lakeland, FL 33801
8:00am – 3:00pm
Thank you for visiting our website to learn more about our Lawton Chiles Academy community. We are so excited for the 2019-20 school year! Our staff is working hard to prepare engaging and rewarding learning experiences for all students.
If you are new to Lawton Chiles Middle Academy, welcome! It is our belief that while at our school, every student has the ability to reach a high level of success and we are truly excited to see where your time at LCMA will take you. During your time at Lawton Chiles Middle Academy, you can expect to not only grow in your academic knowledge, but also develop skills for communication, intercultural understanding, and global engagement, which are essential for life in the 21st century.
LCMA is an International Baccalaureate Middle Years Programme School which offers students opportunities to develop their potential, explore their own learning preferences, take appropriate risks, and reflect on and develop a strong sense of personal identity. We want every student who has the privilege to call themselves an LCMA Knight, to head to High School knowing they have the skills necessary to become an advocate for themselves and take an active role in their academic pursuits. We take great pride in the fact that we are able to equip our students with the knowledge and skills necessary to achieve their goals, no matter what their dreams may be.
For those who are already a part of our LCMA family, we are excited to have you back for another year! We cannot wait to see what the year holds for you as you continue on your journey towards reaching star status this year.
Remember, our teachers set the stage, but it is up to you to become the star!
Mrs. Kendrick, Principal
We are an internationally-minded community committed to fostering curious minds in an educational environment that produces resilient, respectful and empathetic students, empowering them to exemplify academic integrity and exhibit responsiveness to our ever-changing global community.
The Lawton Chiles Middle Academy family, consisting of students, faculty, staff, parents, and the community are partners in guiding our students’ education by:
– Developing a high interest in all academic areas with an emphasis on math, science, and technology;
– Enabling students to maximize the development of their talents in music and the arts;
– Providing a safe and orderly environment that is student-centered;
– Promoting high expectations academically, socially and technologically;
– Equipping students to work at their highest capability;
– Stressing verbal and written communication;
– Focusing on the development of critical thinking and problem-solving skills;
– Integrating real-world situations into the classrooms;
– Encouraging an acceptance of cultural differences, ideas, feelings and talents through cooperative learning and social skills development;
– Linking technology to learning in the classroom and developing proficiency in computer usage; and
– Demonstrating strong parent support and commitment for the education of their child.
The History of Lawton Chiles
Lawton Chiles Middle Academy is housed in one of Lakeland’s most iconic buildings.
The building was built in 1927 as Lakeland High School. LCMA’s namesake, Florida Gov. Lawton Chiles, graduated from LHS in 1948.
The building was placed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1993. In the mid-1990s, it housed Lakeland Middle Academy. In 1999, following Chiles’ death, the name of the school was changed to Lawton Chiles Middle Academy in response to the community’s desire to honor Gov. Chiles.
In 2012, LCMA became the first middle school in Polk County to earn the International Baccalaureate designation.